Sunday, October 4, 2009

Roasting Chestnuts

Everyone has heard the Christmas story about chestnuts roasting on an open fire. Well, Sunday we are watching conference on the internet. I had picked up some chestnuts while out walking earlier and thought I might try roasting them. In my mind, which operates at a somewhat simple level, I figure you just toss them in the oven for little bit and they pop like popcorn or something. So I have them in the oven and we are in the other room watching conference and I hear a thud that came from the kitchen. I figure that must have been a chestnut popping open. So off to the kitchen I go. Before I get there I hear some more substantial bangs. I open the oven and chestnut is everywhere.

After further research I find that you are suppose to puncture them like potatoes or they explode, just like potatoes. Needless to say I had to clean out the oven. Julie thought it was funny after she found out she didn't have to clean up the mess. After all that I find out chestnuts aren't really all that good.
-Ken

2 comments:

Becky said...

classic!

Melinda said...

I always wondered why the chestnuts are roasting. Not good, huh? thanks for saving me the trouble of finding out for myself.